Pages

Monday, July 19, 2010

Air Seed of Earth: Squaring the Circle

7.19.10



Today was a day of painting, taking airy concepts, soaring imagination, wings of freedom, down to the form of water, earth, fire, wood, and metal, bringing all the elements down into the physical dimension.



Here, Robert & I integrate our painting with music, film, cooking, herbal pestos, and conversation. It is so nice now, as we do this, we can always see nature, feel her, hear her, and integrate her, as we work in our studio.



To square the circle is a mental alchemy, and it cannot be planned out or drawn with a straight edge. It has to have flight, freedom, and curve. The circle is the realm of the mind, and the square is earth, the womb of our translation.



I have found it finally easier to focus on our work, but at first, in the morning, I did not feel I could get there. To clear away, roll out the land, pour in the light, sometimes feels unattainable, but in the truth of it you are usually on the edge of a big body of work, and as you look out over it, you're blinded by its vastness and the amount of surrender it will hold.



I'm excited, but I forget the surrender is all it needs, like in Alice and the Jabberwocky, she just had to hold on to the Vorpal sword, because it knew what it wanted to do.

4 comments:

  1. The last painting certainly contains all the vibrancy of what you have spoken...fantastic! So wonderful to know you have had the time and space to fly around in that circle of the mind and land on the square...go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra, thank you so much for making valuable to yourself what I give.
    love, Su.Sane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love reading how you express the creative process you & Robert share in doing your work and how you move through the integration of that life in your world at the studio. What a gift you give us all from that surrender that you commit to in your work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suzanne, thank you so much. It is so much fun to write this and it feeds me too. I look at my life differently because of it, and it changes me.
    love, Su.Sane

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments.